Shoddy Battle League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoddy Battle League

Shoddy Battle is an program made for Pokemon Simulation, Shoddy Battle League forum is a forum made of fans playing Shoddybattle.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yeah I just got here

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fire Away

Yeah I just got here Empty
PostSubject: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 2:28 pm

and I'm already questioning the clauses. D:

Um, is there any point to Item Clause? A large portion of the Shoddy community doesn't bother with it. It's really just an ancient clause from GSC that some people forgot to leave behind. It should at least be optional, IMO. I suppose you could argue that it makes team building more diversified...but it forces me to use random things like Wise Glasses Starmie.

Yeah, just thought I'd mention it. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jet
Offical
Offical
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 6:17 pm

yes it should be on; imagine every poke on the team either has persim or chesto berry... or worst lum... if its on just get one item and you have a hold item for each pokes already... so what's the point of having a Confuse/sleep team when your opponent already has those anti-status items equipped.

and first of... you CAN'T have any items on your pokes in SBL unless you bought them... so why in the world would u have Wise Glasses on your Starmie... in fact y do u have a Starmie already when you don't even have a log? =P
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 am

Jet wrote:
yes it should be on; imagine every poke on the team either has persim or chesto berry... or worst lum... if its on just get one item and you have a hold item for each pokes already... so what's the point of having a Confuse/sleep team when your opponent already has those anti-status items equipped.

and first of... you CAN'T have any items on your pokes in SBL unless you bought them... so why in the world would u have Wise Glasses on your Starmie... in fact y do u have a Starmie already when you don't even have a log? =P

Yeah...putting a Lum Berry on every Pokemon on your team is hurting your team a lot worse than its helping it. That argument is silly.

I'd put Wise Glasses on my Starmie because I put the better items (Life Orb and/or Leftovers) on those who need them more. I'm not saying I have a Starmie or Wise Glasses -- I'm asking why I should be forced to give it a lame item because I've bought one copy of that item already.

If Item Clause was so needed, everyone would be battling with it. :/
Back to top Go down
JrIsGay
Offical
Offical

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 4:57 am

Dont argue with the rules, thats just how they are. Most people play with item clause on anyway :/
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 5:38 am

crazy231 wrote:
Dont argue with the rules, thats just how they are. Most people play with item clause on anyway :/

'That's just how they are' is a really bad argument. :/

Most people do not play with the item clause on. This leauge =/= most people. Item Clause is not a standard clause in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
JrIsGay
Offical
Offical

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 6:53 am

I know this league doesn't equal most people. I'm not going to argue
Back to top Go down
Ataro
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:09 am

Fire Away wrote:
Jet wrote:

Yeah...putting a Lum Berry on every Pokemon on your team is hurting your team a lot worse than its helping it. That argument is silly.

I'd put Wise Glasses on my Starmie because I put the better items (Life Orb and/or Leftovers) on those who need them more. I'm not saying I have a Starmie or Wise Glasses -- I'm asking why I should be forced to give it a lame item because I've bought one copy of that item already.

If Item Clause was so needed, everyone would be battling with it. :/

There are not just Leftovers and Life Orb that are useful, alot of other items can be used too, not just Wise Glasses.

Imo, if Item Clause was off, it wouldn't be that fun. I wouldn't wanna battle a team full of leftovers. :\
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:49 am

But...why? I'm sorry that Gamefreak made Leftovers a really good item, but it's without a doubt the best thing I want on my walls. Does it really make you chafe everytime you see someone with two Leftovers on their team?

Leftovers can also be really important to a team's strategies. Without Leftovers a Hail user can end up screwing over members of his own team.
Back to top Go down
JrIsGay
Offical
Offical

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:51 am

Thats why most Hail users make Hail Teams
Back to top Go down
Jet
Offical
Offical
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 am

exactly... Leftovers on each poke? that's why Item clause SHOULD be on... wait y are u suddenly against ur statement then lol?
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:29 am

Jet wrote:
exactly... Leftovers on each poke? that's why Item clause SHOULD be on... wait y are u suddenly against ur statement then lol?

Read my post more carefully. I said that with item clause, certain strategies can lose out. Leftovers nullifies hail damage. That means that's it's a very good item to have on Hail teams. :/

Also, no one has provided a solid argument for item clause other than 'that's the way the rules are' and 'Leftovers on every poke is stupid'.
Back to top Go down
Jet
Offical
Offical
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:40 am

oops lol

well I still think it should be on for balaned reasons, as well as for different strategies and teams... besides that's just one situation... and as of now, there aren't any hail teams present... nor I think will there be for a while due to the lack of available mons for us.

just buying one item will immediately let your team be "safeguarded" from a certain theme; which seems kinda boring if the battle is already set to your favor just because of one item... the point of SBL isn't for serious actual battles, its for "rpg-like" fun. If there's going to be a certain tema, like Hail, Sleep, confuse, Sandstorm or whatever, so be it. If your team doesn't have the right items to survive, then it will be even MORE challenging, which would mean in my opinion be more fun because you're hoping for game-based luck (critical, miss, etc) which puts in "at the edge of your seat...

when things get serious, then we'd probably consider
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 am

Jet wrote:
oops lol

well I still think it should be on for balaned reasons, as well as for different strategies and teams... besides that's just one situation... and as of now, there aren't any hail teams present... nor I think will there be for a while due to the lack of available mons for us.

just buying one item will immediately let your team be "safeguarded" from a certain theme; which seems kinda boring if the battle is already set to your favor just because of one item... the point of SBL isn't for serious actual battles, its for "rpg-like" fun. If there's going to be a certain tema, like Hail, Sleep, confuse, Sandstorm or whatever, so be it. If your team doesn't have the right items to survive, then it will be even MORE challenging, which would mean in my opinion be more fun because you're hoping for game-based luck (critical, miss, etc) which puts in "at the edge of your seat...

when things get serious, then we'd probably consider

But, items don't determine the strategies of teams. I would run Leftovers on Starmie to minimize Stealth Rock damage upon switching in to make her a more effective Rapid Spinner, while Blissey is carrying them to wall more efficiently. Generally speaking Leftovers is the default item when nothing else would fit. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Jet
Offical
Offical
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:49 am

that's the point... "default"... should IT be the default item? be original, try to think of new strategies and stuff WITHOUT the use of stereotypical teams/items... otherwise then what's the point of being in SBL if it's just the same as every other server =P

besides you keep saying IF it happens... but apparently it hasn't happened yet... so y ponder on something that MAY not happen in SBL =P
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:56 am

Jet wrote:
that's the point... "default"... should IT be the default item? be original, try to think of new strategies and stuff WITHOUT the use of stereotypical teams/items... otherwise then what's the point of being in SBL if it's just the same as every other server =P

besides you keep saying IF it happens... but apparently it hasn't happened yet... so y ponder on something that MAY not happen in SBL =P

Yes, it should be the default, because healing 6% health is better than nothing when there's nothing else that would help.

You're assuming items tie in with too much. Using Leftovers has little to do with my strategy. You're implying that every Pokemon that has Leftovers is doing the same thing, which is not the case.

I'm pondering it because it may just make SBL more fun and more fair for everyone.

P.S. If we're going for an 'RP' experience there'd be no clauses at all. Neutral
Back to top Go down
JrIsGay
Offical
Offical

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:01 am

Not one person even has Leftovers yet, so why argue when its not even a possiblility. I dont think this is supposed to be a RP either
Back to top Go down
Fire Away

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 am

crazy231 wrote:
Not one person even has Leftovers yet, so why argue when its not even a possiblility. I dont think this is supposed to be a RP either

Someone will at some point. It's not meant to be taken literally, but forcing someone to be 'original' when it could very well be hurting their team isn't a great move, IMO.
Back to top Go down
JrIsGay
Offical
Offical

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 am

Well if the rule is applied to everyone, then everyone has the same oppurtunities.
Back to top Go down
Jet
Offical
Offical
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 am

no clauses? so let every poke sleep/freeze? I don't think so...

and no, it WON'T be fair because imagine a sleep whore poke; it would be totally useless if each of the team had an anti-sleep item... as you said if it's a sandstorm/hail team and every poke would have leftovers, it would totally crumble their strategy as well.

it's also NOT fun to realize that your opponent has items that totally contradict your team, especially if each of those pokes have them.

so we try to contradict each other? that's not pokemon that's... some board game

again you avoid the fact of VARIETY and STANDARD-ness... why must it be something that is overused/typical that is of every battle of most of the servers... SBL is "trying" to be different

*oh gawd I'm sounding like some person I won't mention now x_x*

*edit... as you said... AT SOME POINT... but no one has now has he? not now is what I'm saying... in teh future maybe.

oot: yea my sig is working XD
Back to top Go down
Sexy Beast
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:11 am

Ok, enough of the arguing, I'll make Item Clause optional, its default unless you or your opponent says so, but they have to both agree on cancelling Item clause.

Locked*
Back to top Go down
http://sbleague.phpbb9.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeah I just got here   Yeah I just got here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yeah I just got here
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shoddy Battle League :: Question to the Webmaster-
Jump to: